Thursday, February 28, 2013

FUN FACTS!

I have been thinking about this and thought it would be fun to let you know some facts about moose.  So today I will be the teacher and you can be the student.  Ready?

Did you know that moose are among the largest animals in the Northern Hemisphere? Yep, they are.  Adult males may weigh up to 1500 pounds.  The average weight for the male moose is around 1000 pounds.  An adult female weighs around 800 pounds.

Can you guess where the largest moose live?  It is in the state of Alaska!  Alaska and Maine have the largest population of moose.  Moose are in New Hampshire, New York, Upper Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, North Dakota, Montana, Wyoming, Idaho and Washington.  And of course there a lot of us moose in Canada.

An adult male is called a bull.  An adult female is called a cow.  And a young moose is called a calf.

Only bull moose grow antlers.  Their antlers begin to grow in early spring.  By the end of the warm summer months, the antlers reach maximum growth and begin to harden.  The bull moose shed their antlers in late autumn or early winter.  This gives the bull moose relief that he doesn't have to carry around these antlers that can weigh up to 60 pounds. Sure makes it easier for me to trudge through the snow without all that extra weight!!!

Moose eat plants only and may eat up to 60 pounds per day.  Hey, we are growing and we need our nutrition!

Did you know that I can run pretty fast?  Yup, I can run as fast at 35 miles per hour.  We are excellent swimmers.  Oh cool, time to throw in a plug for my Moose Mist Sport SPF30 Sunscreen.

I know, you are thinking this is winter and you don't need sunscreen.  Really?  Oh yes you do!  With the sun bouncing off the white snow, you need sunscreen.  My continous spray SPF30 sunscreen is perfect to protect your exposed skin to the sun.  Yeah, yeah, yeah, you are telling me that you are covered up with all your snow gear.  But what about your face?  You need sunscreen on your face.  My Moose Mist Sport SPF30 Sunscreen is just the answer to protect your face from the sun.

Check out my website, www.moosemills.com, where you can order my sunscreen.


Okay, advertisement is over, back to the fun facts about moose!

Can you guess how much a moose weighs at birth?  They weigh from 25 to 35 pounds. And calves can run within a few days after birth and swim well within two weeks!

Don't tell anyone, but moose have no upper teeth.  That is why you never see me with a BIG smile.

This is a neat fact.  The word "moose" is derived from the native North American Algonquian Indian word meaning "twig eater".  Hmmmmm, thus the fact that we eat plants!

The moose in Europe are referred to as "elk".  In North America, the word "elk" is a different animal from the moose.

White moose are rare and they are not called albinos.

That is it for your class on moose today.  I hope you learned some facts you never knew before.

I am back in New Hampshire.  My trip to Florida and the Daytona races was a blast!  I sure enjoyed it.  But I had to come back home because I missed Minny Moose.  She sure was glad to see me as I was glad to see her!

Dismissed!!

Moose Mills

No comments:

Post a Comment